Monday, July 16, 2012

Goals

#1, if anyone is reading this, can you add me to your blog roll? I want to get connected to more thrifters. I can do the same for you, if I can figure out how to do a blog roll... I do have one on Pinterest! =)

Anyway, while I was visiting with my dad a few weeks ago, he kept telling me how I need to budget better. And it's true. While I am really frugal with some things, we blow money in other ways. Like eating out and going to the movies. It's alright in one aspect, as we are dinks (dual income, no kids), but I know we need to save for the future and get bills paid down.

One such bill is the loan for our mattress. When we got married we bought a queen-sized mattress. But after a few years, and the addition of the dog, it wasn't cutting it anymore. DH works third shift, and it is hard for him to get to sleep during the day, especially since they are constantly doing construction outside (building more houses in our development). So last fall, we went all out and bought the most comfortable bed in existence. Even after having it for almost a year, I am still in awe at how fantastic it is every time I lay down.

The mattress was a good purchase, but I regret that we bought it with a loan. Well, we bought it with a 1-year same as cash loan. So technically, if we get it paid off by 10/12/2012, we will have no interest. The problem? We still owe $1353.30.

I feel stupid. Owing over a grand for a mattress? Granted it is the best mattress ever, we should have saved up for it. Well, what's done is done, and I've decided we will get this mattress paid off in time if it kills me. 'Cuz, if it kills me, then DH can pay it off with my life insurance policy. Ahaha.

Anyway, there are approximately 12 weeks left until interest starts, so I need to make around $170 a week on eBay. A very lofty goal, but it can be done if I work at it. I'm going to work at getting 5 new listings up each day. So far today, I've done two. Also, I have a ton of teaching books I went through which I don't need currently as I'm no longer teaching Social Studies. I will put those up on Half.com. Half.com is much quicker to do than eBay since you don't have to take any pictures and whatnot.

I'll keep you posted.

One more thing I'm going to "brag" about... I signed up for a 5k in August. It's a super cool one where they throw paint on you. I've never been a runner nor ran any races. Well I'm trying to do the Couch to 5K plan. Tonight I ran Day 2 of Week 2. It's not a huge feat to most, but to me, I'm thrilled. I got it done. And the best part is the feeling afterwards. It feels so good to be exhausted and sweaty because you feel like you accomplished something. I will stick with it. I don't know if I'll be able to run the whole thing, but the point is I will do my best, and I will have fun.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that if you set a goal and tell people about it you will be more likely to keep it. No one wants to look bad. Keep at it. Selling is all about listing. Like my mom tells me when she walks in my garage "No one is going to buy things from you when you stick them in your garage don't do anything with them." I don't let my mom visit often :) Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep listing and blogging. New follower here and I added you to my blogroll:)

    ReplyDelete